Sunday, November 10, 2013

Blog Post #16: Hamlet - Blog 4


Today while roaming the castle I came across a diary of sorts. I do not know to whom it belongs, but within it the owner writes of me, and of my struggles with sanity. They wrote something truly terrible about me, “For Ophelia as for Hamlet, Denmark has become a prison, and she is alone at Elsinore. It is the realization of this fact, coming on top of all the earlier horrors, that destroys her sanity” (Seng). I have not been myself lately, but I was unaware that in my short lifetime I had caused such frieght and unrest throughout Elsinore, before my untimely death, I heard the king command Horatio: “Follow her close; give her good watch” (4.5.57) because I could not be left alone or trusted. They go on to speculate as to why my mental condition was dramatically declining, “It was not Hamlet alone who sullied it. Ophelia's father and brother have had their share in the spoliation of her minds purity and her child like trust.” (Seng) Although difficult to admit, my lack of a female figure in my childhood has left me completely dependent on all the men in my life, including my father, brother, and Hamlet. Losing all three of them in such a short time period left me without purpose therefore without sanity. When my father commanded me to cease all communications with Hamlet, I tried to explain to him “My lord, he hath importun'd me with love In honourable fashion” (1.3.57) but my father would not hear of it. However, this entry reveals that prior to his death, my father admitted that “his own earlier judgement of Hamlets ‘tenders of affection’ might have been in error” (Seng) which leaves me more confused than ever. If I had not cut my ties with Hamlet, would he have gone mad? Would he have murdered my father? Would I be alive? I cannot say. As far as I can tell, the recent events of this castle have left everyone with regrets and questions. The queen even admitted indirectly to me “I hoped thou shouldst have been my Hamlet’s wife.” (5.1.220) No one was expecting my death, or my father’s, things had gotten so out of control. The only one left of my family is my brave brother Laertes, the thought makes my heart heavy. After the queen reported the news of my death to Laertes, the king suggested “Let’s follow, Gertrude. How much I had to do to calm his rage! Now fear I this will give it start again. Therefore let’s follow.” (4.7.88-91) King Claudius feared that the news of my death would spark more fire in my brother, and his rage would control his actions “Adieu, my lord. I have a speech of fire that fain would blaze, But that this folly doubts it.” (5.1.86-88) I suppose my brother will not have to suffer the same fate that my father and I did, letting a personal flaw get the best of them. My fathers constant spying and deceit, my obsession to please, I still fear for him though, and I also fear for my dear Hamlet. When he returns home from England, I don’t know if Elsinore can take much more of his abuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment